04 June, 2012

I'm the Weirdest Nerd...


It's a hippocampus! Half-fish, Half-horse!

Another shot of one of the side-fountains at Piazza della Navona

The church at Piazza della Navona.
And some vendors setting up for the day.

The Pantheon.

     So today in my Art and Archaeology class we learned more about the emperors of Rome from the time of 500BC to the time of Christ. It was REALLY interesting. I loved everything we talked about, and having completed all the necessary readings, It was way more fun than usual, because I was able to make the necessary connections. I'm super excited to go to museums and actually see the things we talked about. It's also fun to make connections between what I've learned from film 1945-present, and other culture classes to these ancient works. Next semester I'm taking a class on Propaganda and Dissidence, so it's fun to connect the Imperial works with the ideas they were trying to convey. As my professor said, "No art in Rome was done, simply for the sake of art. It was done to send a message to its viewer." I love this quote because I feel it also applies to different places and different times. Although it is blatantly clear that many emperors used public works of art to further their reputations. 

Creeper Photos at the Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva.
Creeper Photos at the Pantheon.
Creeper Photos at Piazza della Navona.
This guy was looking at the Four Rivers Fountain.
Creeper photo at Campo de' Fiori
Creeper photo at Piazza della Navona
Creeper photo at the Pantheon.
Creeper photo at Piazza della Navona.
      Basically I couldn't be more excited to learn everything for this class, and (this is the scary bit) I think the test could be fun.. I think I've officially crossed the line between simply admiring the culture and obsessing over it. Every day we learn or see something new about Italy whether it's from the times of the Villa-Novans, Garibaldi's unification, or Mussolini's rule or even something completely modern, it doesn't matter. I'm simply fascinated. From every time period something amazing happened. And while Rome didn't stay the center of the World, the Papacy, or Italy it did last, and managed to keep many of its ancient sites and statues.


Some cool looking graffiti.
This says, "Filter the Truth!"

This seems to be by the same people.
I'm not sure what it's about, but it looked cool.
     So, with my nerd rant mostly over, it's time I get back to the real purpose of this blog; a place to post things about my experience in Rome. We met at Piazza della Navona for my photography class. We took pictures of people and then walked around some alleyways to the Pantheon. Took some pictures there, half people and half architecture. Followed some more alleyways until we arrived at a church (Santa Maria sopra Minerva) in Piazza della Minerva.

Stained Glass at Chiesa di Santa Maria sopra Minerva.

St. Catherine of Siena's tomb!

Chiesa di Santa Maria sopra Minerva

A skull... weird...
     This church was beautiful, and while walking around - and surprisingly, managing to take some good pictures - I found out that in this church St. Catherine of Siena was buried. This is significant because I've actually read some of what she'd written in the 14th century. She was an extremely influential person, and wrote directly to the Pope, Kings, and other Officials. Basically this was the first time I have been impressed by a tomb in a church. There's so many here you just kinda start to stop seeing them. I was really glad I stopped to see who this was though.  (I guess this is another nerd rant, sorry.)

Mmmmm delicious fruits!

Pasta, I think.

Jewelry!

Balsamic Vinegar and a guy who is Super prepared against pickpockets!

Purses, bags, t-shirts, everything!
     Anyway, after that we walked to Campo de' Fiori which was a really fun marketplace that I plan on heading back to on one of my free days. It opens every morning and lasts until 1:00. They sold everything from fruits and vegetables, to jewelry, to scarves, to pasta, to wine, to balsamic vinegar. Everything! It was really great and most of the prices seemed reasonable. So that made it extra fun. 

Tomorrow we meet in Piazza del Popolo for my photography class, and at a museum for my Art class. I'm really excited for that, and for our weekend trip to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri!

No comments:

Post a Comment