15 June, 2012

F is for Florence!

First, I'm just terrible about updating this if I have any school work that needs to be done. And I had to write a research paper. So, there haven't been many updates because I was spending 70% of my free time on that.
Yay sunsets and Domes!
(The rest of these pictures were all taken when it was dark, with different camera settings.)
This is part of the Roman Forum.
And again, with my highest ISO setting.
My favorite ISO setting of the night (around 200-400).
Il Colosseo is in the background.
Blurry, not on purpose pictures always turn out
better than blurry, on purpose  pictures...
Temple of Saturn and I forgot the long one... Julius Ceasar's Basilica?
Where Peter was held prisoner.
Walking photos at night are usually terrible.
Look, Cobblestones... They're so... "Fun."
Column of Trajan, so beautiful!
Markets of Trajan.
But on to the main points, we did some night photography Wednesday evening, which was surprisingly fun since my camera's pictures weren't as terrible as I'd expected. We met at the Vittorio Emanuele 2 monument at 8:30pm, and walked over to the Capiotline Hill and looked out at the Roman Forum then went to the Markets of Trajan and then went home because it was about 10:30.

Today I went to Florence with CEA. I've always liked Florence for some reason, maybe it's just that the time periods that it was at its best are my favorites, or that I just have more knowledge about it in general. I'm not sure, but whatever the reason, I love it, and today was just beautiful. We saw Il Duomo, the Doors of Paradise, Michelangelo's David, Il Porcellino, Ponte Vecchio and much more. I love the city, but since it was planned in the Middle Ages, it's a little easy to get lost. I ended up buying a scarf for 5 Euros, and a large purse for 55 Euros discounted from 68. I probably could have gotten a better deal, but didn't want to haggle over it. Only one other girl and I were returning to Rome this afternoon, so we headed back to the station around 4:15. I only got a little lost, and considered asking directions, then as soon as I had decided to do so, I realized where we needed to go, and we went. We arrived at the train station 3 minutes early, and got to talk to two of the CEA admins who had come with us on the trip. They were really great, but they told me that next semester I'm going to have to speak to them only in Italian... That'll be fun... But really the practice would be good for me. Upon arriving at Rome, each of them offered to share a taxi with each of us, very convenient since that would be able to drop us off closer to our apts, and was on the way for them. We gladly accepted, and went our separate ways.
The most beautiful church in Florence.
(At least on the outside.)
The Medici Family!
Their "palace" it's quite beautiful for how simple it is.
Basilica di San Lorenzo
The dome, 6 ft bigger than the Pantheon.
The doors of Paradise. - Nickname given by Michelangelo.
Palazzo Vecchio.
Markets by Il Porcellino
Ponte Vecchio
So now I get to read, and smell my new purse. (Are there people who don't love the smell of leather?)
My new Purse, big enough to hold a textbook or two!
My scarf, side 1.
My scarf, side 2.
I think I might go to a market tomorrow, or read, or do nothing... I haven't decided...

No comments:

Post a Comment