18 July, 2012

Galleria Borghese

Last night we went to a Pizza and Gelato crawl. It was delicious. And we were about 30-40 minutes late... I, for the life of me, cannot find Campo de Fiori without getting lost once. It's awful. I don't have too much time to work on this since my paper is due tomorrow, but here we go.

We went to the Galleria Borghese. And as much as I loved that museum, I hated that we couldn't take pictures. I don't know what order everything is supposed to go in and I'm hoping that this is all the important pieces...
Better color.
Sacred and Profane Love
The sacred love is actually on the right, showing a goddess, who will never die. She's holding a torch that represents and undying love.The profane love is on the left and is a Venetian bride who holds jewelry and a rose that is already dying. They are both sitting on a sarcophagus (death) that is filled with water (life). A putti, the angel, is playing in it. There is a lot more symbolism that I won't go into.


Apollo and Daphne by Bernini
This is one of my favorite sculptures at the museum. It's beautiful, and there's great movement in it. It also captures a fleeting moment, which is what baroque art is all about. In this moment, Apollo is chasing Daphne after being shot by Cupid's arrow. However Daphne was shot by a repelling arrow and is pleading for help to her father who in turn pleads to the gods. They then turn her into a tree. She is in the process of transformation, it's amazing.
The Deposition by Raphael. His painting is really amazing. He is a part of the High Renaissance. In his time they reached absolute perfection.

Bernini's David, it's not my favorite. Maybe I just don't like the face, or the fact that it's Bernini's own, but something is definitely unappealing about it. Yes it's a great work, but it's not personally pleasing to me. However it might be on our exam so I've left it in.


Pauline Bonaparte, Napoleon's sister, is portrayed as a Venus. What's remarkable is how real it looks. Her body appears to actually make a depression in the marble bed.
This is my other favorite.
It looks so real, and all of the movement simply bursts out at you. In this case Pluto falls in love with Persephone, the most beautiful mortal woman in the world and brings her back to the underworld with him. She cries and prays to her mother to let her return to earth and she is allowed above ground 3-6months each year. And during this time all the flowers bloom and the fruits begin to grow. This of course is Spring.
You can see the indentions his hand would have made, there are marble tears on her face. It's really truly gorgeous.
Caravaggio's David & Goliath.
I don't particularly like any of Caravaggio's works, but we need to know them for our exam. Here's this story.
Also by Caravaggio.
Madonna and Child with St. Anne (Dei Palafrenieri)

No comments:

Post a Comment