12 July, 2012

Class and Ballet (July 10th)

We went to the Arch of Constantine. I've already talked about this so I'll refrain from repeating myself.
It's fun to play with pictures
I think I've been there before....
I really like this arch, or all arches in general. 
Another side view.
It's just *SO* photogenic!
Then we went to the Basilica di San Clemente (Basilica of St. Clement). We weren't allowed to take pictures here, so I was only able to sneak a couple. The church is built on 3-4 layers (depending on how you count). The bottom most being a group of Roman houses, then a temple to a pagan god, then the first church dedicated to St. Clement, and the modern day church of St. Clement.
Part of the ground of the 1st church.
Notice the marble has writing.
One of the most beautiful apses.
I'm not sure why this one is soooo blue,
but it's still pretty.
Floor marbles taken from imperial monuments.
A really "ugly" ceiling. It's probably
covering something more beautiful.
Then we walked up a big hill to Santi Quattro Coronati. Which had some really beautiful medieval frescoes featuing Constantine. They tell the story of how Pope Sylvester cured Constantine of leprosy, Constantine's resulting conversion, and his giving the Pope the Lateran Palace. The frescoes were made in the 9th century.
9th century tower.
Messengers summoning the Pope.
Pope visiting Constantine.
Emperor Constantine... With a beard...
Some more of the pretty frescoes.
Mosaic floors that make me sad.
We went to go see a classical ballet (Giselle). I don't really think I like ballets. I was moderately entertained throughout the first act but had to read the program to know what was going on. (Apparently I'm not too good at reading interpretive dance stuffs.) Anyway we weren't allowed to take pictures so I don't have any.
Terme di Caracalla
Picture of the Willis
The area was gorgeous though. My favorite parts of the night was, the music, and the location. We also played the Italian version of musical seats. Which is where 5-10 minutes after the show starts you move as close as you can to the stage. Pretty fun, but felt very undignified.

I also happened to fall asleep for a tiny bit of the performance. But that wasn't a big deal.
 Also our bus ride back to the apartments was crazy! It was like the bus driver wasn't sure how exactly brakes worked. I'm fairly certain he didn't know braking gently was an option. It was fun though. We ended up getting home at 1AM and I crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment