27 May, 2012

Rome: 1st Day of Orientation

I woke up at 8AM, bright and early, opened my shutters to be able to hear the activity outside. Rome, at least in my neighborhood, is very loud... Always. Maybe not between the hours of 3 and 6, but all other times you can hear people talking, singing, yelling (often in English), driving, honking, braking, catching buses, and doing all other sorts of things. I had orientation from 9:30 until about 4. We learned about pickpockets, and all sorts of other crimes, got a tour of campus (only 2 floors of an old villa), ate lunch, and had a crash course in Italian. I finally knew what it felt like to know all the answers like they were the most obvious things in the world. I had to bite my tongue not to say the answers as they popped into my head. It was interesting what they thought were useful words and phrases to know while in Italy. And they had a handy translation paper called a "Map of Italian."
The Spanish Steps and the church at the top.

View from the top.

Church called "Trinita dei Monti"

Domes visible. St. Peter's is in the back.

Sitting on the Spanish Steps
After they were through with this, my new roommates and I went sight seeing to the Spanish Steps, and to the Fontana di Trevi. (So that would be Fontana di Trevi two times in two days.) The Spanish Steps were beautiful at sunset, and the Fontana di Trevi is gorgeous at night. We then hopped on a bus back to our apartment, and stopped at a chain resturant called L'Insalata Ricca. The pizza there was delicious, and it wasn't too far from our apartment. We went back and crashed, everyone was tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment